Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Jeferson Airplane of Equality.......:

The Constituion has to be the most institutionalised form of hypocrisy yet! I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "all men are created equal." A phrase that went on to be imprinted in constitutions of countries all over the world, including our own. It was also the inspiration (even if he nevr admitted it) behind a radical new school of thought credited to the genius of Karl Marx. communism went its predicted way, and all men are still equal, in thoery anway. But if u think about it, do we really want to be equal? At the sound of sounding like a class-snob (which I am not) I say hell, no!
I took a bus home from work today evening; suffocating in the sweaty smelly crowded white elephant that is govt. transport, I took a good look around. Me and the great unwashed. A motley bunch of bashful perverts, drunks, fisher women, college students, and geriatrics. Standing on one foot, my hand gripping the support for dear life, (much like a meditative yogi, if you paint out the people from the picture), I thought, this is what it feels like to be equal. We all pay the same subsidised bus fare, and we travel at the mercy of the State-in its dilapidated buses over badly maintained roads, praying for divine intervention. But wait; if all men are equal that does not leave space for a God does it? Omnipotent, omniscient God? So theres no hope either then when we're all equal. And then awakening dawned. Proletarianism was a defence mechanism! A get well card with a twist designed for a miserable people! Think about it-nobody in their right minds would want to be equal, if they had a choice. Look around us-for all the developments in economic theory, there is still no better sales pitch than snob appeal (once you're done with essentials)We dont want to be equal, we'd all like to be one step ahead, we were just declared equal. Not that it makes us all equal, not even if we wanted it to. But its thrown inour faces everytime we rise above the cesspools of our lives and ask in Oliver Twist fashion, "may I have some more?" No! why not? Coz all men are created equal! Thats why- the govt will tell you-its wrong to aspire and dream, to hope, to want better. Because all men are created equal. We didnt ask for this equality, we dont want it now, but thats how it is-we were all created equal!Its the political version of the original sin-equality.
well im sick of these double standards. I pay for my ticket,just like evryone else, why the hell are all the seats taken before i even step foot on the bus? If some of us sit and some of us stand, where is the equality in that?Id like to sit n travel after my 9-5 job. If that means paying a couple of bucks extra, Ill gladly pay it. I dont want to be equal. I want a seat. I want a cushion under my ass, and floor under my feet. If thats too much to ask, then balls to you mr. jefferson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home